2Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- please see with me the progressive order of benefits found through our intimate knowledge of scriptures.
- Inspiration: All scripture is God inspired and is therefore profitable for teaching
- Reproof: Intimate knowledge of the scriptures brings correction to us by exposing sin and blind spots in our life. If we heed to the exposure brought to us through the Word it will brings us freedom in Christ.
- Correction: Correction here means to be restored to an upright state resulting in salvation. Do you notice the order? Reproof brings exposure of sin. If we heed we start to become free. As we become free the Word of God then starts to restore us to an upright state.
- Instruction: these talks about mentoring and discipling and the final release into our ministry. Exposure, restoration, mentoring, and call to ministry.
17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
- Greek: The man or woman of God becomes thoroughly equipped and furnished by the Word of God for every Spirit led work; The man or woman of God is equipped and fitted with every necessary piece of equipment by the Word of God for anything that the Lord might have for him or her require to do. When we went to battle Sadam Hussein in the Persian Gulf in great part we won because we were thoroughly equipped with the best of arms, technique, and people. It is our deep knowledge of God’s Word that furnishes us with the spiritual equipment necessary to successfully carry out God’s holy missions.
- Complete, equipped and fitted with the necessary resources needed for the job at hand.
- By being thoroughly equipped and furnished by the Word of God for every Spirit led work; the man of God is equipped and fitted with every necessary piece of equipment for everything that the Lord might have for him or her to do. Without a good knowledge of God’s word how can that ever happen?
2Tim 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
- Have at hand or possess a model. That model being one of healthy words.
- Faith and love is the relationship in which sound doctrine is kept.
Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
- Speak those things, which are conspicuous or eminent as healthy teaching.
- Discuss those things, which relate to doctrines of men.